|Home : Getting Started
Now that you know what personal branding is and how it can set you on the road to success, let's focus on some important steps to get you started.
- In preparing to create your personal brand, you must realize that this is an opportunity to define yourself like never before. Now that you've gotten a glimpse of your future, your next task will be to begin thinking in terms of how you want to exude that persona so that others will catch your wave. Because your situation and perspective will change over time, we recommend that you come back as often as you like to refine and update.
- The first thing to do is to write down all your thoughts and ideas regarding this matter, and specifically with regards to what you have just read. This will allow you to keep your creative mind at work rather than keeping a mental log.
- As a general note to you, please know that it is not ever necessary to fill in every category of the brand builder, only those that apply.
- Recalling how important it is to portray your authenticity for the purpose of making a connection, and knowing that not until you know yourself can you ever totally believe in yourself, let's focus on some key components.
- Make a list of your strengths and weaknesses. Everybody's got them so be honest with yourself. This exercise will help you to self evaluate and show you where you can excel and also where you want to grow. Revealing your weaknesses allows others to relate to you because they'll know you are honest and authentic. This is an important tool to building an effective team, because we're better together than we are alone.
- Define your passion. Write down 3 or 4 (or more) things that you get excited about and find a common thread. This may be the 1st time you have ever done this exercise, but just think how far you will go once you do this. You will begin to focus more of your time on things that matter to you. And, more to the point, it will help you to build your brand.
- Define your philosophy. Your philosophy is derived from your belief system. Those things that form who you are and what you stand for. They are in essence the foundation of your personal brand
- Define your vision, by considering what your philosophy is and answering the question: If nothing could stop me, who would I become?
Consider the following questions as you go to the brand builder to get started
- Who are you?
- What have you done?
- What can you do for me?
- What do you want?
- Why are you here?
You have just begun your journey to building your personal brand. Now that you know who you are and are not, it will be much simpler to establish your goals based on your vision and dreams.
A few nuggets to help along the way:
- It is foolish to expect different results if you keep doing the same things.
- You will only rise to the level of your expectations, so raise those expectations.
- It is wise to aim for the stars, if only to land on the moon. It's better than not landing anywhere.
- Without vision, people perish.
- Don't let another's perception of you become your reality,be the one who controls how others perceive you.
- If you don't begin controlling your destiny, someone else will.
- Fear and faith both believe in what is not seen, but you determine which one you will serve. Don't let your fears control you.
- Your attitude determines your altitude.
Begin filling out the appropriate categories in your brand builder. Come back as often as you like to refine and edit. Make updates as your situation changes and set new goals. If you are looking for a job, position yourself to get one, once you have one, make adjustments to help you meet your next goal.
Use it to your advantage. Use it to fulfill your goals. Here are a few possible uses to get you started; find work, job hunt, attract new clients, meet like-minded people, network, build relationships, promote your philosophy... the number of ways to use it are limitless.